Wednesday 12 September 2012

Kids in Care/Myths and Misconceptions

Okay so I must admit I have been quiet neglectful of my poor blog due to being busy and sick so I will be combining two subjects into one this week. 

Kids in Care
As I am currently doing my placement within Child Safety I thought it would be good to inform everyone what happens with children not only with Down Syndrome but all kids with disabilities. Within Child Safety is a database that has both children and carers, children with disabilities are classified as "high needs" or "extreme high needs". These children are then placed with foster carers who classify that they want children with high needs. In some cases these children are also connected with Disability Queensland but in all cases they are given the necessary care.

Myths and Misconceptions 
Myth: Most children with Down Syndrome are born to older parents
False: Once over 40 yrs of age the possibility of having a Downs baby does increase, however a 17yr old is just as likely to have a Downs baby as a woman 20-30yrs older

Myth: Children with Down Syndrome must be placed in separate special education programs
False: While most children with Downs attend a special school or a school with a special education unit it is also possible to mainstream Downs kids


Myth: People with Down Syndrome will live at home forever
False: A large percentage of adults with Down Syndrome live semi-independently in assisted living facilities and group homes

Dayna.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you posted this Danya! I know a few people with down syndrome and I would like more people to learn the FACTS not the stereotypes and myths

    ReplyDelete